Monday, August 20, 2018

Rainbirds

First of all, can we just acknowledge how beautiful the cover is? The title says "Rainbirds" but you get goldfish on the cover. I love it!

I sense a lot of Murakami's style in this debut novel; the quietness, weird people, weird dreams, the moon, jazz (!), and pasta (!). Oh my God, it's like she really pushed herself to be Murakami's minion! I was waiting for a talking cat to make an appearance to complete the Murakami's pattern, but thank God it didn't happen.

I also feel that some of the scenes are simply incoherent, the flow is just wonky there.

I gave 2 stars for this. In a nutshell, don't bother spending time with this book. Read a Murakami instead and you'll get a better experience.

I feel bad because the author is Indonesian-born Singaporean and I'm supposed to cheer for her. I hope that she finds her own style in her second book. Please just leave Murakami in his own world - there are many other concepts to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment