Sunday, August 12, 2018

At Mrs Lippincote's


Elizabeth Taylor is Jennifer's favorite author and she recommended her to me. I've never read any of her works, so I decided to check it out and start with her first novel. At Mrs Lippincote's is a story set in 1945. We follow the Davenant family - Roddy, his wife Julia, son Oliver, and cousin Eleanor settling in this rented house.

It took me a while to get used to her style. I felt that it reads more like scenes than a novel. However, I loved Taylor's sharp and witty delivery, and all the references to literature works. She brought the characters to life that they are so relatable even to the current era.

My favorite character is the 7-year old Oliver. He is a bookworm as described here:
Oliver Davenant did not merely read books. He snuffed them up, took breaths of them into his lungs, filled his eyes with the sight of the print and his head with the sound of words. Some emanation from the book itself poured into his bones, as if he were absorbing steady sunshine. The pages had personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment